Saturday, June 13, 2009

DOGWOOD ACRES WEEKLY 06/01/2009


DOGWOOD ACRES, 06/01/2009, ELANE CRUM

Hello friends. Our month of May birthdays ended with Auntie Wan Keithley on Friday and granddaughter Ashton on Saturday. Aunt Wanetta and some of her friends had lunch on the verandah at Big Cedar and enjoyed a stroll through the flower gardens. She told me that now she is going on 88 and thinks her 88th year will be just as easy as the 87th year.

Grandpa Rick and I went to Neal and LeaAnn's Saturday afternoon for Ashton's birthday get together with family and a few friends. Neal grilled venison burgers, hot dogs and chicken and we watched Ashton blow out fifteen candles. After everyone had eaten and gifts had been opened we went down to their creek where Neal had used the tractor to make a swimming hole. He was the only one brave enough to jump into the cold water but, I think that was just because little 5 year old Emily kinda dared him to. Rick and I went on home, and the kids had a water balloon fight before calling it a day.

Leon and Connie Hammond made a quick trip to St. Louis over the weekend to visit their son, Chris, and his family. I picked up their mail and stopped by with it on my way to Branson this morning. Connie was outside watering plants; so pleased that her Hostas and Columbines have not been eaten by their backyard deer.

Colby and Jenn took Christie to see SIX on Friday night and then out to eat at Steak and Shake.

Christie said Bill and Sean are "joined at the hip" or perhaps, better said "by casting arms" as they have been fishing every Saturday morning for the last month or so. She asked if they had been black-balled off the coffee list since they fish so much.

Sister Christie and I are regular visitors with Lori Roberts down at Bloomer's Greenhouse. Flowers are so pretty this year and we both like to add a splash of color to our shady woods.

On our way to church Sunday morning we saw Janet Dalton in Taneyville. She is still recovering from rotator cuff surgery and said hoeing the garden using only her left arm is quite a challenge.

I worked late Friday night and saw a lot of wildlife on my drive home. It's funny how wildlife makes me think of people, there was Herman's deer and Sherman's deer; saw two at each place. Herman's deer is so tame; as I screeched to a halt, it barely glanced at me before slowly ambling on across the road. After seeing Sherman's deer, I also saw a big copperhead in the road, my first for the season. There will be more as the nights get hotter and they stretch out on the pavement. Bye for now.




No comments: