Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dogwood Acres Weekly, 06/22/09

DOGWOOD ACRES, 06/22/09, ELANE CRUM

Hello friends. What a sweet Father’s Day it has been. We were privileged to spend the day with our son, Neal, and his family. Papa Bill Hodges fried fish for Sunday dinner and Mary Lou baked a Strawberry-Rhubarb cobbler and had fresh green beans from the garden.

In his Sunday evening sermon, Neal spoke from the wisdom that Grandpa Lloyd Crum had imparted to him during their years together.

Rick went to the Demolition Derby at the Taney Co. Fair Saturday evening and I went to the outdoor singing up the road at Pine Ridge Church. They had a big flatbed trailer set up for a stage behind the church and all the folks gathered ’round beneath the shade trees. It was pretty hot, but a slight breeze kept the air moving a bit.

There was some really good singing and I enjoyed visiting with several old friends. I sat my lawn chair beside Bonnie Cornog who was tending the hot dogs. She is always fun to visit with. Eudine Robb, Mary Ingenthron and Barbara King came up from Forsyth. Eudine’s daughter, Barbara and hubby, Melvin, are spending the summer in Alaska as part of an RV’ers volunteer team. They assist in renovation of churches through The Assemblies of God MAPS ministries.

There was other familiar faces at the singing, although many that I did not know. Among the old-timers that I grew up with was Thelma Walker and her son, Donald Ray. I enjoyed visiting with Don's daughter, Penny and her son, Dustin Hull. Don's wife, Janice, gave a report on progress for the building program; sounds like it will not be long until dirt begins to move. It is so good to see a church family who want to see the church grow. Perhaps some may miss the "outhouses", but surely the new conveniences will be greatly appreciated.

Bill DeWitt was there and he told me about the banjo that he built last winter. Jim Campbell helped with the singing; I remember when "Soup Campbell" was a skinny kid looking in the windows…a very long time ago!

Dupe and Dot Brown and their family was there; their music was good, as always. Mary Melton sang with Dottie and Jim Campbell; they must know hundreds of songs! There was also good singing by Sam and Judy Clemans, Rev. and Mrs. Jack Keithley, and others that I do not know.

Edith Davidson told me she would see me Sunday morning; Rick and I always meet Edith on Lone Star Road as we travel toward Sandy Church and she is on her way to Pine Ridge.

After leaving Pine Ridge, I went to Jim and Dawn’s to see how Jim had survived his birthday. He was working in the yard and gave me a tour of their pretty garden. Green beans are thriving, corn and potatoes coming along nicely too. It is all watched over by a scarecrow wearing a bridal veil, surely the crows will not have the audacity to eat the tender fresh veggies.

I got to see Dawn’s mom and aunt from Oklahoma who had come in for Kasie's graduation from nursing school. We are all so proud of Kasie for completing LPN training. She will be working at Golden Living Center in Branson.

Justin and Kasie jumped on a motorcycle and went to visit his grandparents in Yukon, OK, over the weekend. I do not envy the trip, but I do wish I had some of their youthful energy and enthusiasm for adventure. While they were gone, I drove out to the barn, cautiously peering around to see if the bear was nestled in a corner.

Glen Kenyon is the proud owner of a new pacemaker. He has a few restrictions, but will be able to drive in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

Mike and Judy Stangel from Salina, Kansas, had lunch with me one day last week. They have been visiting our area for many years and subscribe to the Taney County Times where they keep up with area news through Alice Wyman's column, Dogwood Acres and others. Like many of us they have missed Alice's column recently so called her to see how she is doing. We all hope to hear from Alice again real soon. Bye for now.

No comments: