Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dogwood Acres, 01/10/ll



DOGWOOD ACRES, 01/10/11, ELANE CRUM
Hello friends. I hope none of you got in the ditch on this snowy day. Not one to blaze a trail on snow-covered roads, I waited until Shannon Wilson and my sis got to Branson and gave me an all clear. I saw three cars in deep ditches and felt sorry for their drivers.


Rick called mid-afternoon to let me know it was snowing and I might want to hurry home, but I was writing a purchase contract which takes a little time. It was 4:30 before I left the office, 31 degrees, light snow and wet roads. Those things changed when I reached the “High Country”, officially at the top of Jim Berry’s hill. The road was snow covered, temp dropped to 29 and my breathing became labored as my hands tightened on the steering wheel. The one car following me turned off at Lone Star Road, probably glad to not have my tail lights in view any longer. There was fresh car tracks going into Christie’s driveway so I knew she was home safe. I talked to Dawn who said Jim slipped and slid some, but, I know he likes a little excitement.


Rick helped Neal install cabinets at a new home near Seymour last week. I didn’t think a construction sight was a very safe place for the puppy, so Zoey went to work with me. She stole the hearts of everyone in my office, but I finally got her to take a nap so I could get some work done.


Neal, LeaAnn, Ashton and Erin came over for supper Friday night. LeaAnn brought yummy whole wheat pasta with organic tomato sauce, avocado and black bean dip with whole grain crackers and I made venison sloppy joes to go with our green salad. The girls brought their clothes and stayed until church on Sunday. I showed property Saturday while they watched movies with PaPa Rick, Little Fox and Zoey.


Christie Biggs and Madison Tilley visited the Dogwood Acres Aunts and Uncles Saturday night, starting first at Jim and Dawn’s. Then, they came here and had fun playing with Puppy Zoey. Madison is in the first grade now and we had fun talking about the olden days when Grandma Christie, Uncle Jim and Aunt Lanie were little kids in school at Taneyville.


Joe Bob Gideon triggered a few memories tonight when he posted an old pictures of his Great-Uncle Harrison Gideon on Facebook. Actually, it was a copy of a yellowed newspaper clipping with Harrison holding a 4ft+ Rattlesnake with 9 rattlers. It was the third Rattler that he had taken near his Pine Ridge home that year. That may have been back around the time that the Rattlesnakes and Copperheads made such a stir at Pine Ridge Church.


We don’t see many Rattlesnakes now, but they were sure plentiful back in “them good ol’ days”. Bye for now.

No comments: